Fire Chiefs

Chief Louie E. DeRosa III
7/30/2010-Present
chief sqtmb
Chief Douglas O. Atchison
1991-2010
atchtmb
Chief Thomas J. Kiernan
1989-1991
Thomas Kiernan
Chief William G. Prentiss
1986-1989






Bill Prentiss
Chief James M. McCormack
1975-1986







Chief John J. McLaughlin
1967-1975



mccormack
Chief McLaughlin

Chief Edward F. Daniher Jr.


1961-1967
Son of Chief Edward Daniher 1918-1919. Borough Ordinance No.763 was adopted on April 8, 1963 authorized the position of paid captain.
Ed Daniher
Chief Robert L. Chambers
1949-1961
On April 14, 1958, the Borough Council adopted an ordinance which provided for the appointment of a paid Fire Chief. A Deputy Chief and 1st and 2nd Assistant Chiefs would be appointed annually by the Borough Council to serve without compensation.
Madison Light department
Chambers
Chief Reginald P. Lum
1934-1949
Great Uncle of former Chief Doug Atchison
Madison Boro Lineman 1938
lumtmb
Chief John H.R. Meyers
1931-1934
By amendment, approved July 14, 1930, appointment of both assistant Chiefs was delegated to the Mayor of Madison, subject to approval by the Borough Council.









Chief Issac R. Wilson
1926-1930
Councilman 1921
Owned an automobile service garage on Kings Road by Green Village Rd.
Meyer
Issac R Wilson
Chief Samuel A. Gruver 
1921-1925
Also Mayor of Madison 1938-1945
Postmaster 1930-1936
Livery Owner on Main Street by Waverly Place
Auto Garage on Lincoln Place.
Samuel Gruver 1915
Chief Benyew D. Philhower
1920
Also Mayor of Madison 1914
Carpenter/Building inspector
Benyew Philhower

Chief Edward F. Daniher


1918-1919
Father of Edward "Ted" Daniher; Chief from 1961-1967.








Chief James H. Cavanaugh  
1916-1917
Edward Daniher 1915
Chief James Cavanaugh
Chief Samuel A. Gruver 
1912-1915
Also Mayor of Madison 1938-1945
Postmaster 1930-1936
Livery Owner on Main Street by Waverly Place
Auto Garage on Lincoln Place.
Samuel Gruver
Chief Daniel M. Shea
1911
Prior to 1910 the position of fire chief or foreman was selected by the membership. When the Hose Company was formed in 1910, a borough ordinance went into effect in which the mayor appointed the Fire Chief. 1st and 2nd Assistant Chiefs were elected by the membership.
Electrical Contractor
Daniel Shea

Chief Alfred P. Smith

 
1908-1910
Father was Joseph Smith who owned the lumber yard where the current Madison Public Safety building is. The lumber yard was sold to the Morris's and became Morris Coal and Lumber. Alfred Smith's son Alfred Smith Jr. was mayor in 1954 as well as an auxilary firefighter.


APStmb
Chief John B. McGrath 
1905-1907
The first fire chief of the Madison Fire Department was elected on December 4, 1906 when Chief McGrath was made head of the department. Previous to that time the department heads had been known as foreman.
Owned the Madison House
John McGrath
Foreman J. Lovell Paulmier 
1904
J Lovel Paulmier
Foreman John G. Becker 
1901-1903
John G Becker
Foreman James E. Burnet, Sr.
Hardware Store Owner
 1900

James E. Burnet Sr.
Foreman William V. Perry 
1898-1899
perry
Foreman Charles F. Force 
1896-1897
Charter Member of the Madison Fire Department

Charles Force
Foreman Edward F. Frenz
1894
Livery Owner
Also the first president of the Madison Hose Company - 1910


Edward Frenz

Foreman Marcus B. Crane


1890-1893
Charter Member of the Madison Fire Department
Grocer
Half brother of charter member Cornelius M. Bush
mbc
Foreman Edward T. Absalon
1889
Charter Member of the Madison Fire Department



chief h
Foreman Edward H. DeHart
1886-1888
Charter Member of the Madison Fire Department
Hardware Store Owner
Great Grandfather of firefighters Rob And Jack Dunne


EHDehart
Forman A.S. Force
1885
Charter Member of the Madison Fire Department
chief h
Foreman Charles F. Force
1884
Charter Member of the Madison Fire Department

Charles Force
Foreman James A. Post 
1882-1883
chief h

Foreman William S Denman


First Foreman of the Madison Fire Department
1881
chief h