The Madison Historic Preservation Ordinance may be briefly summarized as:
The Madison Historic Preservation Commission consists of 7 volunteer members of the community with demonstrated interest in local history and architecture. The Commission must have at least 1 member who owns property in the Madison Civic and Commercial Historic District and one member who owns property in the Bottle Hill Historic District.
History of Madison
The Borough of Madison was formed in 1889, carved out of a portion of Chatham Township. But the history of the community extends back into the 18th century, when “the King’s Road” and the road now known as Ridgedale Avenue intersected at the top of a low rise of land where a tavern was erected to serve travelers along these routes to Morristown and Hanover Neck. The tavern, and the geography, gave rise to the name “Bottle Hill” for the village that arose. Learn more on the Madison History page.