Space Heater Use

  • Keep space heaters 3 feet away from all combustibles. 
  • Make sure the space heater is listed by a recognized testing laboratory. UL is a recognized laboratory.
  • Never leave a space heater unattended. Shut off when leaving the room or home.
  • Do not use extension cords with a space heater. 

Carbon Monoxide Dangers

Carbon monoxide is invisible, odorless and tasteless. Carbon monoxide occurs more frequently in the winter due to homes are closed up and more carbon monoxide producing devices are being used. Carbon monoxide comes from anything that burns fuels. Gas appliances like stoves, water heaters, furnaces, gas and wood fireplaces and gas dryers produce CO.  Most of these appliances produce small amounts of CO in the home, however, greater quantities of CO can make you sick and possibly kill you. CO is most dangerous at night when high amounts of CO will put you into a deeper sleep and you will not even know it. CO detectors are meant to wake you up to warn you of the dangerous gas. If your detector is going off, call us and we will come to your house and check your home for CO. We will ask if you or any of your family members feel "sick" before responding. Symptoms for Co include; headache, nausea, vomiting, all flu like symptoms. If you have these symptoms, you should relay that information when you are reporting your detector activation. Seek fresh air immediately!

  • Be sure your carbon monoxide detectors have new batteries installed every year and are not older than 5 years old. 
  • Carbon monoxide detectors should be installed within 10 feet of bedrooms. 
  • Flues and chimneys should be inspected and or cleaned every year to make sure there are no blockages.
  • Never use ovens or stoves to heat your home.
  • Never use generators inside. 
Fire Hydrants

  • Shovel fire hydrants at least two feet around for FD access.
  • Don't pile up leaves, garbage around the hydrant, be sure the hydrant is visible from the street!
  • Trim any landscaping around the hydrant.