Home › Agencies ›Departments »
Sustainable Madison Committee
The snowstorm has rescheduled the meeting planned for Thursday, February 13.
Join Sustainable Madison at 7:30 pm, Wed. February 19 in the Committee Room, Hartley Dodge Memorial Building! Steve Eget, Sustainable Madison member and program manager at Dewberry, will speak on "Climate Change, Adaptation and Madison's Carbon Footprint". His municipal carbon footprint was among the 46 projects credited in Madison's Sustainable Jersey application.
Madison is certified as a silver Sustainable Jersey community! With 465 points, Madison is the Sustainability Champion for Mid-sized Communities for 2013, the highest number for municipalities between 5,000 and 40,000 people.
Created via ordinance on April 23, 2012 and codified in Chapter 26 of the Borough Code, The Sustainable Madison Advisory Committee of the Borough of Madison is an eleven member committee charged with encouraging sustainable practices in the Borough of Madison.
Green Forum, January 24
Thank you for coming! Here's a summary of the round-table discussions and the next steps, as described in the Madison Eagle on Feb. 21.
The next steps are to form Action Teams for Recycling, Energy Efficiency, Water Conservation and Green Grounds under the Environmental Commission, Trees under Shade Tree Management Board, Park Activities and Park Maintenance under Parks Advisory Committee and Park Mapping with both Open Space, Recreation and Historical Preservation and Parks Advisory Committees. Let us know if you want to join by email!
Couldn't make it? Need a review? Here's the video of the exciting event:http://youtube/U4EacU4VFeA.
Several resources for learning about community assets are available on the Rosenet website:
- A dynamic tool called “Shop Madison” allows residents to search for businesses in the following categories (and additional subcategories): Automotive, Building/Home Improvement, Consulting and Business to Business Services, Financial/Legal Services/Real Estate, Food & Beverage, Health, Wellness, Beauty & Personal Care, Retail and Specialty Services, Shopping, Travel, Leisure, and Education, Entertainment and Arts. A Google map on the main page (http://www.rosenet.org/businesses) shows the locations of the various retailers. Each category/subcategory page lists retailers, with a hyperlink to individual pages including phone, address, hours, store location and Web URL.
- Another section lists Non-Profits alphabetically by category o, such as Arts, Counseling, Teens, Seniors, Museums, Religion, or alphabetically, with hyperlinks to information about each organization, and includes a calendar.
- The Historic Preservation Committee section includes information on properties and districts and a map of historic sites.
- The Community section includes links to information on education, athletic fields, artists, as well as links to information for new residents.
- The Open Space and Recreation Plan, available from the OSRAC downloads page, includes an open space map highlighting parks, borough facilities and select nonprofit facilities.
A document called Community Asset Mapping 2013, uploaded on the right, combines hyperlinks to rosenet pages with a listing of class 15 public and nonprofit properties from the tax database and historic properties identified by the Historic Preservation Commission, as well as an Open Space Map identifying parks and other public and nonprofit properties and a Historic Sites Map. The listing of individual properties includes addresses, phone numbers and web links where available. This listing will be made available on the sustainablemadisonnj.org website and disseminated in other ways.
News on the Sustainable Jersey application: Sustainable Madison submitted an application by June 15, 2013 for silver status. Madison appeared to be credited with over 350 points, the required level, when Sustainable Jersey provided comments in July. Revisions for some additional items were submitted on September 15. Madison was certified in November as silver!
Click here if you would like to sign up for the Sustainable Madison emails.