On the Move. Are you moving in or moving out?

Moving into or out of a new house, condo, apartment, office space, retail establishment, or food establishment? If so, the information below will help you out:

Moving In?

Everyone that will be using electric and water utilities are required to complete an application with the Electric and Water department. The application can be found electronically below, or hard copies can be obtained at Hartley Dodge Memorial Building, 50 Kings Road, in the first floor rotunda or Utility Billing Department on the 2nd floor. 

Both the owner and tenant (if applicable) must fill out the application card prior to transfer of services. 

Once you’ve filled out the application, the utilities that you’re responsible for will be transferred to your name and you’ll be able to pay your utility bills online.

Moving Out?

If you’re moving out, it’s the tenants responsibility to call and schedule the final electric and water readings. 

Final readings are performed Monday through Friday between 8:00 A.M. and 2:30 P.M. The tenant does not need to  be present for the final reading. Payment can be made in person or online. If you’re moving out over the weekend, final readings can be performed the Friday before or on Monday morning. We do not cut your services at the time of final reading. 

To schedule your final reading, please call the Utility Billing Office at (973) 593-3045 between 8:00 A.M. and 4:30 A.M. at least 5-10 business days ahead of time.