- Departments A through Z
- Emergency Services
- Fire Department
- Volunteer Firefighters
Thank you for your interest in joining the Madison Fire Department as a volunteer firefighter. The volunteer division is a vital arm of the Madison Fire Department, providing additional personnel to supplement the Borough's career force at a variety of incidents.
The Madison Fire Department is a combination fire department, utilizing both paid and volunteer firefighters. Because of the combination department, Madison benefits from the immediate response of paid personnel, complemented by volunteer manpower which responds directly to the scene with their own personal protective gear. The department responds out of 1 firehouse, located on Prospect Street. The department operates 2 pumpers, an aerial truck, a rescue truck, and a utility truck. We respond to over 1,300 calls a year.
We wish for you to join our department, to become a part of what we feel is a very special brotherhood. If you feel you can make the commitment, welcome! We are confident that you will feel special for helping someone in need. We will prepare you to the best of our ability. We will provide for you: Training, inspiration, protective gear, and insurance. You will provide personal commitment to the department and the community.
Rewards of Serving as a Volunteer Firefighter in Madison
We take pride in being a progressive department, with goals, policies, and a philosophy which is a cut above other organizations. As a volunteer firefighter you'll enjoy the challenge of using newly learned skills. You'll enjoy the friendship and fellowship gained from working with a team of people dedicated to helping the community. Service in the volunteer division could lead to a career in the Madison Fire Department, since New Jersey law permits preference be given to volunteers when filling vacancies in a combination career/volunteer department such as Madison.
As a Volunteer Firefighter in Madison you receive these benefits too:
- Yearly monetary stipend paid to members based on attendance at drills and emergencies.
- Discounted membership to the Madison Area YMCA.
- Accidental disability/death insurance coverage.
- Workmen’s Compensation coverage.
- All training is paid for by the Borough of Madison for Morris County Fire Academy: Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2 courses.
- High quality personal protective equipment for firefighting and a radio pager.
Acceptance & Training Process
Accepted applicants will be placed on a two year probation period. During that time, you will be expected to attend 2 courses at the Morris County Fire Academy: Firefighter 1 and Firefighter 2. Each module will require a commitment of 2 or 3 nights per week for 12 weeks.
You may also need to commit to 1 or 2 weekends. Probation can be extended if deemed necessary. You will be required to attend drills and meetings usually held on Monday nights, work details and most importantly, fire calls.
- Must be 18 years old and out of High School.
- Must be a Madison resident or live within 2 miles of Madison's border.
- Since firefighting is a physically challenging activity, the candidate must be able to perform duties like climbing ladders, crawling and lifting all while wearing approximately 50 pounds of protective gear.
- Volunteers are encouraged to maintain a 60% attendance record for the above activities for full membership status.
The Madison Fire Department is accepting applications for volunteer firefighters right now. If you are interested in this opportunity to serve your community, fill out a Membership Application. Once you have completed the application, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or simply click 'Submit Application' on the form or stop by the Fire Department at 62 Kings Road and talk to us.
Required tests are paid for by the department. The average time frame for completion of these tests is generally about 3 months.