Recycling / Garbage / Yard Waste
Borough Recycling Center
Residents and businesses can drop off recycling (including textile and Styrofoam recycling) at the Borough Recycling Center on Station Road. The Madison Recycling Center will now be open, for a limited period, on Monday – Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 3:00 p.m., as well as its regular Saturday hours (8:00 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.).
Textiles (including clothing, shoes, handbags, and household linens) should be placed in the green bin at the Recycling Center. They will be collected by Green Tree Textiles, a nonprofit that donates usable items to charity partners—and turns worn and torn textiles into rags, car insulation, and other items. Almost nothing enters the waste stream.
Composting is now available through a third-party contractor for a monthly subscription fee. For more information, or to sign-up, please click here.
Paper, commingled recycling, and/or shredded documents that are placed at the curb in plastic bags will not be collected by the hauler.
Available for Madison Residents
Never Miss Another Collection!
With it's easy-to-use calendar you'll be able to find your recycling/garbage/yard waste collection schedules, use it's simple 'What Goes Where?' feature to check and see what is accepted for recycling, and will allow the Borough to push notifications out regarding holiday or weather schedule changes.
Check out the functions below, and download in on your cell phone today!
Paid for by the New Jersey DEP
Ways to Dispose of Your Garbage
There are three options for residents that pertain to garbage collection:
- Regular Curbside Pickup: Twice a week curbside pickup from May 8 to September 9, once a week curbside pick up the rest of the year;
- Traditional Rear Yard Pickup: Residents can contract directly to have their garbage taken from behind or along the side of their home for an annual fee of $150.00;
- Enhanced Rear Yard Pickup: Year round, twice a week pickup from behind or along the side of a residence for an annual fee of $250.00. The pickups will occur on your regular, twice a week schedule.
Residents interested in rear yard pickup or having any issues should contact the hauler, Suburban Disposal, at 973 -227-7020. The hauler will directly bill each resident.
Garbage, Recycling & Yard Waste Requirements & Proper Packing
All items should be placed at the curb no earlier than 4:00 P.M. the day before collection. All containers must be removed from curbside prior to 8:00 P.M. on your collection day. If garbage or recyclables are not put out properly, they will not be collected.
- Each container cannot exceed 40 lbs;
- No construction material, TVs, grass, leaves, medical waste or recyclables;
- NO GARBAGE can be put in cardboard boxes - Corrugated cardboard must be recycled
- Cardboard should be flattened and put in a recycling receptacle or tied up