Sustainable Madison Committee
The Borough of Madison is a Sustainable Jersey certified community - one of only 212 in the state. Madison achieved Sustainable Jersey certification at the silver level, one of only 27 New Jersey municipalities that have attained this certification in 2019. Certified towns are an outstanding group of municipalities that are making important contributions toward the long-term goal of a sustainable New Jersey and world.
About the Committee
Created via ordinance (PDF) on April 23,
View a summary of the round-table discussions and the next steps, as described in the Madison Eagle on February 21. You may also view the video online. The next steps are to form Action Teams for Recycling, Energy Efficiency, Water Conservation and Green Grounds under the Environmental Commission, Trees under Shade Tree Management Board, Park Activities and Park Maintenance under Parks Advisory Committee and Park Mapping with both Open Space, Recreation and Historical Preservation and Parks Advisory Committees. Let us know if you want to join by email.
Several resources for learning about community assets are available online:
- A dynamic tool called Shop Madison allows residents to search for businesses in the following categories (and additional subcategories): Automotive, Building/Home Improvement, Consulting and Business to Business Services, Financial/Legal Services/Real Estate, Food & Beverage, Health, Wellness, Beauty & Personal Care, Retail and Specialty Services, Shopping, Travel, Leisure, and Education, Entertainment and Arts. A Google map on the main page shows the locations of the various retailers. Each category/subcategory page lists retailers, with a hyperlink to individual pages including phone, address, hours, store location and Web URL.
- Another section lists Non-Profits alphabetically by category o, such as Arts, Counseling, Teens, Seniors, Museums, Religion, or alphabetically, with hyperlinks to information about each organization, and includes a calendar.
- The Historic Preservation Committee section includes information on properties and districts and a map of historic sites.
- The Community section includes links to information on education, athletic fields, artists, as well as links to information for new residents.
- The Open Space and Recreation Plan, available from the OSRAC downloads page, includes an open space map highlighting parks, borough facilities and select nonprofit facilities.
News on the Sustainable Jersey Application
Sustainable Madison submitted an application in June 2016 for silver status. In November 2016 Madison was credited with 450 points across 14 action categories giving us Silver status. This certification is good through December 2019.