Printable Instructions can be found here
Before you log on to the portal:
- Have a credit/debit card available
- Have all the information on your references that you need – accurate addresses/phone numbers.
- FARS will automatically time out in 20 minutes if you do not complete or save information.
- You can apply for both ID cards and permits to purchase at the same time.
Utilize the FARS on-line System for
- Initial Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
- Permit to Purchase a Handgun
- Lost or Stolen Indentification Card
- Mutilated Identification Card
- Change of Address on Identification Card
- Change of Sex on Identification Card
- Change of Name on Identification Card
The New Jersey State Police has a FAQs webpage regarding the FARSystem here.
Visit the below URL to begin the firearms application process.
Madison NJ: ORI# NJ0141700
You will not be able to start the process without entering the correct ORI # for Madison
Firearms Identification Card
In the State of New Jersey, a Firearms Identification Card is required to purchase long-arms, including shotguns, rifles, black powder, "BB" rifles, pellet rifles, & ammunition.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- First time applicants must be fingerprinted
- The local licensing authority depends on your area of residence. You must contact your local Police Department or the State Agency in which you are requesting licensing
- Refunds CAN NOT be issued
- $50 fee for initial Firearms Identification Card
- Expiration date of 10 years
- Residents with Firearm Identification Cards prior to 12/22/2022 are grandfathered and do not have an expiration date
Permit to Purchase a Handgun
A Firearms Identification Card is required when applying for a permit to purchase a handgun, as well as the following criteria:
- Must be at least twenty-one years of age
- Must be a resident of The State of New Jersey
- Permit holders may purchase handguns from any private citizen or licensed gun shop in New Jersey
- Not eligible to purchase or receive a handgun from another state unless the sale is processed through a licensed firearms dealer in The State of New Jersey
- Permits are valid for 90 days from the date of issue. The permit may be extended an additional 90 days if authorized by the Chief of Police
- $25 fee for each permit to purchase
- Duplicates/lost permit to purchases are free
Permit to Carry a Handgun
Madison residents wishing to submit an application for Permit to Carry a firearm in New Jersey may file an application with the Madison Police Department. A step-by-step guide can be found here.
Frequently Asked Questions
For frequently asked questions, please refer to the New Jersey State Police FAQs here
- FARS is taking the place of the STS033 form
- Applicant MUST enter their “Official Name”
- Applicant must enter accurate phone numbers and emails for themselves and their references
- Family members related by blood or law are not acceptable references
- After all information required information is entered, a REVIEW PAGE will appear where you can edit all information into the application prior to final submission
- If you are an initial applicant (never have had a firearm’s ID card or permit) you will need to be fingerprinted. You will be directed to a link and will be asked to enter your service code, please enter 2F164B
- Print out confirmation page and application at the end of the process for reference purposes
- Applicant references will receive an automated email from: email@example.com with a link to the online reference questionnaire
- The background investigation (conducted by our detective personnel) will not begin until the applicant has been fingerprinted and their references have completed the online reference questionnaire
- New Jersey Firearm Laws
- New Jersey Shooting Ranges - RPO
- Retired Law Enforcement Officer Program
- ATF Firearms Information
With questions, please contact Kristy Kiehl by phone (973) 593-3016 or email KiehlK@rosenet.org