What if I plan to plead guilty and pay the prescribed penalty?
If you wish to plead guilty and give up your rights to have a lawyer and a trial you may do so provided the "Court Appearance Required" has not been checked on the Summons and Complaint and provided the charge is listed on the Violations Bureau Schedule. The more frequently charged State and/or Local (Supplemental) Violations Bureau offenses and prescribed penalties are listed on the back of your Motor Vehicle Summons/Complaint.

You may also telephone the Violation Bureau to determine whether other offenses are listed on either the State or Local (Supplemental) Violations Bureau and and the amount of the penalty. If the Violations Bureau is authorized to dispose of this charge, complete in full the appearance, plea, and waiver on the back of the Summons and Complaint and bring or mail to the Violations Bureau at:
50 Kings Road
Madison, NJ 07940

Show All Answers

1. What must I do if I plan to plead not guilty?
2. When is a court appearance required?
3. What if I plan to plead guilty and pay the prescribed penalty?
4. How do I make payment by mail?
5. What if I fail to appear in response to a summons or to pay the prescribed penalty?
6. What if I have been charged with a parking offense and fail to appear or pay the prescribed penalty?
7. Do I need a lawyer?
8. Must I hire my own lawyer?
9. What if I cannot afford a lawyer?
10. Do I have to pay for the Public Defender?